10 Facts About Mozambique
3. Mozambique is the only country in the Commonwealth never to have been part of the British Empire.
4. The official language of Mozambique is Portuguese.
5. Half the people in Mozambique are under-17.
6. Mozambique is bordered by the Indian Ocean to the east, Tanzania to the north, Malawi and Zambia to the northwest, Zimbabwe to the west, and Swaziland and South Africa to the southwest.
7. Maputo is the capital and largest city of Mozambique. It is known as the City of Acacias.
8. Mozambique’s coastline is a major attraction for visitors, not only because of its beautiful beaches, but also for its amazing marine wildlife and rich coral reefs.
9. The network of protected areas in Mozambique covers about 22% of the national territory. It is made up of 6 national parks, plus other types of protected areas.
10. The Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte is located on the most eastern tip of the Island of Mozambique. Built by the Portuguese in 1522, the chapel is considered to be the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere.